MAP S.p.A., present on the market since more than 100 years, is considered a main company in manufacturing of materials and functional-aesthetic components, both for upholstery/covering and thermo-acoustic insulation in countless sectors. In the last decade, thanks to its know-how and to a dedicated structure, entered successfully into the shipbuilding and marine industry by means of eco-friendly and recyclable products and solutions, all qualified as per regulations in force.
Mapflex® is a recyclable viscoelastic sound insulating material made of polymers and mineral fillers. Awesome features of sound transmission loss, fire reaction (it just chars, does not melt, in case of fire), as well as low smoke emission, permitted to achieve M.E.D. homologation (RINA) and Fire retardant veneers approval (Class NK – Nippon Kaiji Kyokai) upgrading this product as the only one substitute of lead (Pb) and PVC sheets. Flexible and versatile, it can be applied on several structures (metallic, GRP, honeycomb, composite) and fire protection materials in order to enhance their lowly acoustic performance clearly.
Since the success of Soundfil® line and shipbuilders’ wish to have a product endowed with similar technical features but higher performances, a new line of sound absorbers and thermal insulators, named Mapfire®, has been created. Made of polyester fibres as well, it is coupled to a special felt which enhances acoustic properties at medium-low frequencies. It represents an effective substitute of standard polyurethane foams and mineral fibres, keeping its features of durability (no rotting) intact. Excellent properties of fire reaction and low smoke emission (M.E.D. approved) qualify this product for ever more important roles in marine and shipbuilding sector.
To solve troubles of noise transmission throughout structures, MAP S.p.A. proposes two products that join technology and functionality.
Terophon® is an anti-drumming made of synthetic resins in aqueous dispersion, without hazardous substances, apt for structure-borne noise and vibration control, and thermal insulation. It is applicable by spray or spatula and adheres to metallic surfaces (even curved or uneven) perfectly.
Legetolex® D300E is a constrained layer damping material in very lightweight and thin sheets, featuring very high vibration damping and radiation efficiency abatement. Its adhesive, further upgrading part of the product, assures solid grip even in non-optimal conditions and on any vibrating, flat or uneven surface. Approved as per M.E.D., it represents the alternative to traditional viscoelastic bi-component products, guaranteeing certain performances and dramatic reduction of application times.
NAVYDAMP is a self-adhesive product with a buildable constriction layer characterized by high damping structural. Peculiarities of the product:
- Excellent performance : Extremely high modular damping ( double layer viscoelastic ), also on structures of important thickness and air mass. Almost insensitive to temperature changes. Ideal for the treatment of wide frequency spectra on thick metal structures or dividing elements of various kinds.
- Quick application : Drastic reduction of labor times thanks to the extreme simplicity of application of the product, self-adhesive and flexible, does not require the preparation of mixtures or time drying or activation.
- Safety, made certain : Compared to the classic two-component polyurethane, the application process of NAVYDAMP it is more controllable and therefore qualitatively superior, since dependent parameters are eliminated the composition, the amount of product actually applied and the skill of the applicator. NAVYDAMP does not contain or release hazardous emissions for applicators and end users.
A range of fabrics, technical fibres and thermal insulator made of E and HT glass fibre complements the insulation line. Among those in evidence, Termomap® A is a product studied and approved specifically for passive fire protection of “steel-equivalent” structures, GRP, ply and aluminium. Non combustible (M.E.D. Item A.1/3.13), manufactured by needling long fibres, safe and extremely flexible, it permits to achieve fire resistance classes B-15, A-30 and A-60 as per FTP Code 2010, RINA Rules Commercial, MCA LY3 and MCA MGN 407, joining high flow resistivity and noise attenuation.
Through constant support of its acoustic engineering, research & development, MAP S.p.A offers expertise and professionalism to design insulating systems, settling their application procedures and certifying their performance, interacting with designers, shipyards and notified bodies, adhering to rules in force and aiming to specific technical-economic targets.
- New noise limits and performance standards of separating walls and floors on board of ships:
RESOLUTION MSC.337(91) -adopted on 30 November 2012- ADOPTION OF THE CODE ON NOISE LEVELS ON BOARD SHIPS.
- Reduction and elimination of hazardous substances for human being and environment:
- Resolution A.962(23) adopted on 5 December 2003 (Agenda item 19) IMO GUIDELINES ON SHIP RECYCLING
- Resolution A.980(24) Adopted on 1 December 2005 (Agenda item 11) AMENDMENTS TO THE IMO GUIDELINES ON SHIP RECYCLING (RESOLUTION A.962(23))
- SR/CONF/45 19 May 2009 HONG KONG INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION FOR THE SAFE AND ENVIRONMENTALLY SOUND RECYCLING OF SHIPS.
- New standards relevant with fire protection and prevention for marine equipments:
RESOLUTION MSC.307(88) (adopted on 3 December 2010) ADOPTION OF THE INTERNATIONAL CODE FOR APPLICATION OF FIRE TEST PROCEDURES, 2010 (2010 FTP CODE).